Monday, June 9, 2008

The First Week

Part of my intent in creating this blog is to share both the ups and downs of attempting a raw food-esque lifestyle. Over the years, I've learned it's nigh-on impossible for me to commit to anything 100 percent, so I never kidded myself by thinking I might go raw vegan overnight...or ever. I'd rather try my best, experiment a bit, and hopefully hit on what will finally work for me when it comes to food -- both nutrition- and pleasure-wise. Not an easy task, believe me.

The first 48 hours of eating raw (or at least mostly fruits and veg) during the day were great. My body clearly needed the vitamins, nutrients and fiber, especially after the last few months of frighteningly escalating chips/cookies/candy intake at and post work...a new development for me and one I did not really like on many levels.

So yes. Thriving on the freshness, having a nice meal with my husband at night, all was well. And then I hit THE THIRD DAY.

In short: It Sucked. Woozy, foggy-headed, headachey all day despite a rare taking of Tylenol. Even after a nice lunch of mixed greens salad with nuts and a mozzarella stick, plus a raw dried fruit bar, I still couldn't see straight. I finally gave up and ran to the grocery store for cottage cheese and grapes. A little better after that, but not much...I finally succumbed to a heat-and-eat chicken noodle soup, dug up from the depths of my desk and that seemed to do the trick.

After work, I went to a dance performance but not before stopping off for a bite to eat. I decided to give myself a break when I picked up the menu but, surprisingly, my urge was for gazpacho, gravlax and a bit of bread. I expected to hit the fridge with full force once I got home, but only finished half a slice of cold pizza and called it a night.

The next day, I laid low and allowed my body to rest and regather forces. I've realized that, for now, I need more fuel during the day than simple fruit and veg. Bless those that can thrive on such a plan, but I just can't. Adding a touch of grain in the morning (toast or raw oatmeal) and some protein has made all the difference. Once I sort out a good afternoon snack, I think I might be going somewhere.

Dinner has been the best development this week. Usually, I go to town at dinner. Now I'm satisfied with much less and find myself pushing away extra. This thrills me no end.

So some ups and downs and still some things to sort. In all, though, I've been shocked at how quickly most of my ideas have seemed to cement into place. Almost 35 years of struggling and giving up with food, and I may have figured out what will finally work for me in seven days? Unbelievable.

No comments: