Sunday, June 8, 2008

So what on God's green earth do you eat?!

Green earth, indeed! I think I just made my first raw foodie joke. Yuk yuk yuk...

Raw foodies seem to talk in percentages, so for those of you looking for a number: I'm guessing I'm eating about 65-75 percent raw at the moment. Sometimes more, sometimes less. What works better for me is a plan rather than a percentage. My loose daily plan runs as follows:

* Breakfast: Emergen-C powder in water followed by fruit shake. After about 20-30 minutes (or more if it's a workday and I have to commute), a slice of sprouted bread with avocado, butter or a piece of cheese.

* Mid-morning Snack: Handful of raw nuts and/or fruit or sliced veggies.

* Lunch: Big salad with raw dressing and protein source (fish, cheese or nuts) or a raw soup. Or both! Something along side (slice of sprouted bread, dried fruit or yogurt). Perhaps a raw sweet treat for dessert.

* Mid-afternoon Snack: Green smoothie or soup or nuts or fruit or veggies -- this varies depending on daily need.

* Cocktail Hour! Inevitably, I have a glass of wine or small drinkie because life is more civilized when it involves a daily cocktail hour with someone you love. If I feel the need, I'll have a little snack as well -- often a bit of cheese or gravlax on a cracker or some hummus and veggies. Half the fun is making a pretty hors d'oeurve plate and treating myself well in this manner.

* Dinner: Whatever I want, so long as it includes some raw vegetables or soup that I try to eat first. This meal tends to include most of my cooked food, though I try to sub in raw/lightly cooked where it makes sense (e.g., lightly seared salmon with salad). Dinner is also a good indicator of whether or not I've fed myself well during the day -- if I eat small and slow, I know I'm happy.

Regarding meat and dairy: No, I do not plan to become a raw vegan. As noted above, I was a strict vegan for almost two years and found that it's not a diet that works well with my chemistry. I have much respect for those who are vegetarian and vegan and completely understand the dietary and ethical reasons for doing so. That said, I know I feel healthier and more vibrant when I thoughtfully incorporate some animal protein in my diet.

I make every attempt to eat organic, free-range, sustainable, tucked-into-bed-at-night-with-a-story meat, dairy and eggs and fully support those farmers/fishermen who take the risk to treat their animals with dignity. In keeping with the principles of my new diet, I also try to eat raw where I can -- e.g., raw cheese, raw milk/yogurt (when I can find them -- that's a search yet to commence), lightly seared fish and steak, etc. Obviously, this causes a problem when it comes to poultry which, don't worry, I do not eat raw or undercooked.

While I'm coming clean, I will also admit that there are certain vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes) that I will only eat after a light steaming. That's what floats my boat and makes my tummy happy. When it comes to grains, it's more important to me that they are organic rather than raw, though I can see that evolving over the next few months, especially after I run out of the quite sizable stash I have in the kitchen at the moment -- I hate wasting food. I have no problem eating sprouted bread, eating "raw" oatmeal made with Bob's Red Mill Organic Oats and almond milk, etc. In fact, I quite love it.

My equipment for now is minimal: The usual compliment of knives, cutting board, bowls, etc. in the standard kitchen, including a standard Oster blender which now has a permanent place on my limited countertop. I'm planning on purchasing a mandoline this week, more because I now have an excuse to get one and I've wanted one for years. I also have regular and mini food processors, though I have yet to use either in my preparations (it takes a lot to convince me to pull out the big Cuisinart as we have to hand wash our dishes...no dishwashers here in Brooklyn), it's nice to know I have them if I need them.

I have yet to play around with dehydrating and can't see myself purchasing a dehydrator anytime soon (see above regarding limited counter space). I've read that a low oven cracked open can work well, so I'll experiment with that first.

Bottom line, I'm trying to find a way to eat and cook as normally as possible, without a bunch of fancy add-ons. Part of the fun challenge of eating raw is being creative in the kitchen, working with what you've got. So far, I'd say the only indispensable piece of equipment for this lifestyle that people may not own is a good blender. I dream of the day I'll purchase a Vita-Mix, but the expense prohibits at the moment. Hell, it was the one thing I didn't get off our wedding registry because who in their right mind spends $450 on a blender?! But I do have a birthday approaching, so hope springs eternal...

No comments: