Monday, June 9, 2008

What I Ate Today -- June 9, 2008

I'm surviving the first heat wave of the NYC Summer of 2008 relatively well, which I fully attribute to being smart enough to wear light, loose clothing (work dress code be damned) and drinking plenty of water. That said, ingesting so many more fruits and vegetables must also be helping. Not thinking about it too much more than that -- I think this city overall can only handle one more day of the heat. Thankfully, I have a functioning a/c window unit. I worry about those who do not.


Breakfast: Shake with one banana, ten-ish strawberries, almond milk. One piece toast with Laughing Cow Light cheese. Iced coffee with fat-free half-and-half (the last of the half-and-half...woo!).

Lunch: Mixed baby greens salad with strawberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, a few dried cherries and balsamic vinaigrette. A few spoonfuls of my first raw food culinary disaster -- creamy cauliflower soup. Why was it a flop? Because I auto-added two cloves of garlic without thinking (duh!) that raw garlic -- especially after it sits overnight in a cold soup -- will be SUPER STRONG. Couple that with probably a touch too much cumin and curry and...well. The idea is good, though, so it the soup will probably return, much adjusted. Luckily, I thought to have a backup plan, so I snarfed down a small can of tuna to compensate.

Snack: Handful of cashews. Hummus with a quarter of a red bell pepper. Leftover pad see ew. Green smoothie with one banana, five strawberries, spinach, squirt of agave nectar. One wedge Laughing Cow Light cheese.

Dinner: Spicy (raw) tuna and avocado salad with carrot/ginger dressing. Half an order cold soba noodles with dipping sauce. One glass vinho verde. One sugar-free Fudgesicle (it did top 100 degrees today, after all!).

Notes: Things are a bit wonky this week as I'm in training at work, the husband is at an out-of-town conference, and my normal schedule/food availability is therefore thrown off every which way. I need to plan better for the inevitable need (not just want) of a 4pm snack so I'm not ravenous when I get home. I've figured out that nuts, though filling, just aren't what I generally desire at that point in the day.

I ordered takeout for the third time in 48 hours tonight...mostly to indulge in being alone and eating on the sofa. At least I'm ordering healthy, despite pizza briefly crossing my mind. Happily, saying no was surprisingly easy.

No comments: